- You are here »
A breast cancer diagnosis means a malignant tumour has been found within the cells of the breast. The affected cells can invade the surrounding tissues and spread to other parts of the body. Breast cancer is primarily a female condition, even though it has been documented in men in the past. Part of the lymph nodes around the tumor site is often removed by surgeons to study the extent to which the cancer has spread. This may result in lymphedema.
Lymphedema is the accumulation of fluid in the tissues following the removal of the lymph nodes during cancer surgery. Lymph nodes and vessels circulate fluid around the extremities and when they are removed surgically, a disruption may occur which leads to swollen arms, legs etc. The lymph fluid is part of the defence mechanism the body has against foreign bodies, so the surgery could lead to a compromised immune system. This is why women who undergo advanced cancer treatments like chemotherapy and radiation are given special diets that should boost their immune systems while reducing the side effects of treatment.
Liposuction breast treatment
After the battle with breast cancer, women live through certain emotions. This is even more common in women who had one or both breasts removed. Breast removal can lead to self-esteem issues and this is why many women elect to go with some form of reconstruction surgery, following recovery. One of the most popular forms of surgery is breast reduction through liposuction.
Vaser liposuction and other forms of liposuction are used in the breast reconstruction process to help achieve a more uniform appearance and improve the woman’s self-esteem. Before engaging in liposuction after breast cancer however, there are important things you need to know.
- The process must only be carried out by a fully qualified plastic surgeon. This is vital, as poorly done liposuction can be fatal. The risk is even higher for a former cancer patient.
- All treatments you are undergoing must be fully communicated to the surgeon. This will ensure the design of a procedure that will not interfere with any ongoing or follow-up treatment. In the event that it is not possible to prevent interference, the surgeon should recommend delaying the procedure until a later date.
- Breast reconstruction surgeries are completed in stages, requiring optimal co-operation from the patient.
- Breast reconstruction is not protection against a future cancer diagnosis.
- Be sure to check your insurance policy properly as the cost of the liposuction procedure is almost never automatically covered by health insurance.
As is the case with all forms of liposuction, you need to be open to going through different stages of consultations. With breast reconstruction surgery, following cancer, the importance of these consultations cannot be overemphasised.
- Five Celebs that have Undergone Liposuction
- What is Vaser Lipo?
- VASER Lipo Advantages Over Traditional Liposuction
- Vaser Liposuction For The Abdomen/Stomach
- Vaser Liposuction for Arms
- How to Tighten Skin After Vaser Liposuction
- Side Effects and After Effects of Vaser Liposuction
- Prepare Yourself for a Lipo Treatment
- Is Vaser Liposuction Permanent?
- What to Eat After Lipo
- VASER SHAPE MC1: Effective Solution Against Cellulite
- Back Fat and Vaser liposuction
- How Much Fat Removal Is Safe With Vaser Liposuction?
- Male Chest Reduction – Gynecomastia Vaser liposuction
- Post-pregnancy and Vaser liposuction: Getting your body back
- Scars After Vaser Liposuction: What to Expect
- Vaser Lipo: A Great Alternative for Fat Removal
- Vaser Liposuction and Breast Cancer, All You Need to Know
- What is the difference between Vaser Liposuction & the Other Methods of Liposuction
- VASER Lipo 360 Leg Contouring
- How to Choose a Vaser Lipo Surgeon?
- VASER: What It Does, How It Works, And How You’ll See Great Results
- How Much Does Vaser Liposuction Cost?
- Why Should You Get Vaser Liposuction On Your Abs?
- Why Should You Get Vaser Liposuction On Your Arms?
- Top 5 Myths about Liposuction
- What Areas Of My Body Can I Target With Liposuction?
- 5 Vaser Hotspots That You Never Considered
- Liposuction vs Gastric Bands
- Men and Liposuction – A Fact Sheet
- Why Should You Get Vaser Liposuction on Your Face?
- Vaser Lipo for Six-Pack Abs
- Is VASER Lipo Safe?
- What You Need to Know about Liposuction
- Are You A Good Candidate For Vaser Liposuction?
- Which Type Of VASER Should I Choose?
- Vaser, Recovery And Compression Garment
- What Are The Benefits Of Having Liposuction
- Five More Celebrities You Never Knew Had Liposuction
- Vaser Liposuction: Anaesthesia challenges